Webminal.org down [Status update thread]

Think about distributed web like IPFS (ipfs.io) data could be saved

1 Like

great thanks, I’ll check it out.

work still in progress Will update with more details in next few days!

2 Likes

Very sad what happened. Would it be possible for us users to contribute (financially or otherwise) to developing the new website? This website helped me learn basic linux navigation and I’d love if I could give something back as gratitude.

1 Like

Thank you @Oborot for your support. Very glad to hear that webminal.org helped in your Linux journey :smile:

Reg user contribution: Its a good idea. I’m exploring few options right now include setting up https://www.patreon.com/ account to revive webminal.org Let me update this post in few days time. Thanks again!

3 Likes

Update: I received from OVH about possible backup from 2020 is restored/recovered. So I created instance from those restored backup. DB instance is up with data upto Jan-2020. webminal.org server data is possibly missing and I can’t login to it to verify it. Raised support tickets and awaiting for more details. :crossed_fingers:

Even if these backup from 2020 works, at-least I won’t start from scratch again. Thats a good news. Lets see!

4 Likes

Raised support tickets and awaiting for more details.

OVH support team escalated my support ticket and I’m awaiting further updates from them.

1 Like

Hi Laks…have you explored into exporting or backing up data to GITHUB.

Just wondering how much data did you loose ? please specify GB size ? thx.

im a newbie to your site…

best regards.

Hello @ad7_98,

webminal.org is a tricky project. Front-end is pretty straight forward but securing the terminal and DB access (for MySQL learning etc) makes it more difficult to manage. Yes, I have backup of webminal source code, but code only is rather irrelevant, because back-end/server configuration is critical to this. Server rootfs was around 10GB and 100GB each. We had backup of those drives with same data center not on different location. Its not easy to host 250000+ account on single server! We were stretching the limits of Server and resolved issues as we proceeded. (For ex: SELinux is too slow on large no.of users along with useradd command etc).

1 Like

OT: I tested corona positive yesterday, will be monitoring and focusing on my family and my health for next 14 days. Hopefully by the time i recover, I will get update from ovh support team regarding issue with instance login. (after creating a new instance from 2020 backup)

2 Likes

Ahhhh…shit - hope you get better very soon…
Sorry to hear that mate - just try and stay away from your family.
Have people buy some great food for you and subscribe to Netflix and all the movie subscriptions.

Good luck on your mini hybernation.
Get better quick. Stay Positive !.

Let us know how you go.
Chao.
Anthony.

1 Like

Hi mate,

forgot to share with you.
My brother-in-law’s uncle in Europe passed away from contracting Covid19 a week after taking one of the vacccines.

Make sure you are the last on the list to take the vaccine so that you can see who becomes ill afterwards and see which vaccine is good - just my opinion anyways.

Pls be careful.
Good luck.

3 Likes

sorry to hear that man…hope you recover perfectly…i used your services a couple of years ago when i used to pass long hours of duty in my employers data center…came back to check on the wonderful project you had goin’ but found out the sad story…anyways, god bless you

1 Like

Sorry for your tough time my friend. I hope things will get better with you soon. Thank you for all your hard work and what you did for the community will never be forget.

1 Like

Hi, BigWill here. I heard about the incident. Also, I am glad that the OVH server is recovered. But I wonder when the main Webminal page will be available again?

@ad7_98

Anthony, thanks, now I’m fully recovered.

Thats a great suggestion, thats what I wanted to do. Relax for 2 week , enjoy food and movies. Unfortunately, before my self-isolation I infected my wife and 1-year twins :frowning:
Last 3 weeks is really tough. Covid is really dangerous and staying positive is real challenge.

First I have to ensure, my symptoms doesn’t get worst and monitor them. Then make sure that I don’t spread others in the family. Also watch out symptoms in already affected family members and monitor them. Finally be careful, elderly people won’t catch this virus.

Now everyone is active and fine, need to go for kids hospital tomorrow for a checkup and test. Hopefully results will be fine too. :pray:

Yes. Sure. That’s my plan before 3rd wave starts sometime later this year :slight_smile:

Thanks @toor I’m fine now :slight_smile: Glad to know webminal.org helped you. Yes, its sad that the project is down for close to 3 months now. I’ll see how to bring it up again soon.

Sure thanks @nobeltnium I’m fully recovered now. Hope to continue my community contribution soon :slight_smile:

The problem is I can’t login to server created from backup - I’m still seeking help from OVH support team. Hopefully it will be up in upcoming weeks. Definitely by end of June, thats my target.

Hello everyone!

Quick update: Managed to restore instance from OVH. Still has issues with login and registeration. Some weired DB problem. Debugging them right now.

webminal.org main page is up as of now :slight_smile: (Note login and register not working yet)